The work of the Kasem Cares Foundation addresses the experiences of an increasing number of families whose family members need protection from abuse, regardless of their financial status. Increasingly, adult family members around the country need to protect ailing relatives whose lives are being controlled by someone who restricts access to and creates inhumane conditions for a vulnerable adult.
1. Please follow or follow the conversation in our new column by author, Kathleen Wright-Brawn: "DEAR KATHY"
2. April 21-23, 2016 is the Friends of Kasem Cares Conferencing on Aging
Elder abuse is a silent epidemic affecting thousands of people across the country and ironically, elements of the current laws support the abusers. The Kasem Cares Foundation is waging a state-by-state lobbying campaign to support the “Visitation Bill” or bills with similar components.
The “Visitation Bill” provides an open path for family members to ask the court to rule on visitation without incurring the enormous expense and time that comes with a challenge to guardianship or conservatorship. We are very proud of our success in Iowa, Texas and California; with California passing the “Visitation Bill” this past summer!
Over half our population will soon be qualified as senior citizens. Over 100 million adults are over age 50.
- By 2030, one out of every five people in the U.S. will be 65-plus.
- It is estimated that more than 1 in 10 older adults experience some form of abuse.
- Seniors who have been abused have a 300% higher risk of death in the next 3 years compared to those who weren’t.
- In almost 90% of elder abuse and neglect incidents, the perpetrator is a family member. 2/3 of perpetrators are adult children or spouses.
- For every reported incident of elder abuse, 5 others go unreported.
Kasem Cares is devoted to help change the way our society honors and cares for our parents and seniors. The Foundation invites you to join an expanding group of passionate professionals and community-minded families who want to preserve the visitation rights of adult children and loving family members.
Kerri Kasem, Founder